I know, I know, another burger recipe… but hey, it’s summer! … and today’s the 4th of July, and burgers are one of those quintessentially American things, along with hot dogs, and apple pie, and fried chicken…. I actually did not make these to celebrate the holiday, but I think they’d be a great thing to make today. So they are not traditional burgers, but a really delicious riff … chipotle peppers and abobo sauce mixed into the meat, topped with avocado, tomatillo, and cilantro. Awesome!
Happy Independence Day!!
Chipotle Turkey Burgers
1 lb ground turkey, preferably dark meat
2 tsp minced chipotle in adobo plus 1 tsp adobo sauce
2 garlic cloves, pressed
4 slices Muenster cheese
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large tomatillo, husked and rinsed, then sliced
1/2 small avocado, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Gently mix ground turkey with the chopped chipotles, adobo sauce, garlic, and a scant tsp of salt. Make 4 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Oil the grill grates, and place the burgers on the grill. Grill 5 minutes on one side, flip, and grill 4 minutes on the other. Top each with a slice of cheese and grill 1 minute more.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading the buns with mayonnaise, placing the burger on top, and then topping with tomatillos, avocado, and cilantro.
- The original recipe calls for ground pork, which you can certainly use as well!
- The chipotle flavor in this is fairly subtle. To amp it up a bit, next time I’ll be adding some chopped chipotles and adobo sauce to the mayonnaise. Yum!